|SEPTEMBER NEWS LETTER|
|IN THE NEWS|
NSAIDS CAUSE SILENT EPIDEMIC Taking ibuprofen regularly or a few aspirin a day are killing almost as many people annually as AIDS.
This silent epidemic is the result of fatal ulcers, according to a report in the June 17 New England Journal of Medicine. Doctors have known for years that this class of medicine, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), causes ulcers and other stomach problems in a small percentage of people. But as the NSAID use increases (currently, 26 billion over-the-counter tablets are taken annually), so do the fatalities.
About 16,500 deaths occurred from ulcers caused by NSAIDs in 1997. According to the journal report, if the toxic effects of NSAIDs were given its own category, it would be classified as the 15th most common cause of death in the U.S.
This epidemic is further complicated by the fact that fatal ulcers and other gastrointestinal complications are often not preceded by warning signs.
EXERCISE IS PART OF THE PRESCRIPTION FOR BREAST HEALTH There's yet another reason for women to exercise regularly: it can reduce breast cancer risk.
Exercising at least four hours per week for 12 years can reduce a woman's risk of breast cancer in half, according to a study of breast cancer patients performed at the University of Southern California. The study revealed exercise is especially important during the adolescent and child-bearing years. In addition, the 12 years of exercise do not have to be performed consecutively.
This study complements one performed at the Alberta Cancer Board in Alberta, Canada, which showed exercising throughout life can cut a woman's risk of breast cancer by 20 percent.
ST. JOHN'S WORT WARDS OFF BACTERIA A German study shows St. John's wort has significant antibacterial properties.
Researchers at the University of Freiburg in Germany report low concentrations of hyperforin, a component in St. John's wort, may kill certain bacteria, including strains of Staphylococcus aureas and Corynebacterium diphtheriae.. Staphylococcus aureas bacteria are resistant to penicillin and methicillin, making them difficult to treat with traditional antibiotics.
Researchers note that while they were looking for topical applications of hyperforin for skin infections, use of hyperforin orally for internal infections also has potential.
Although antibacterial properties for St. John's Wort have been previously reported, no recent investigations have been done on hyperforin due to its instability. By using new extraction and stabilization methods, the authors of the study were able to investigate hyperforin's effect directly.
This study appeared in the June 19 issue of The Lancet.
REVISITED PRODUCTS BACK TO SCHOOL ESSENTIALS FOR THE COLLEGE-BOUND College necessities: a sturdy backpack, a healthy debit card, and key nutritional support. As students face another semester, it's essential to send them off with a general supplement kit. Here are some must-include products:
* The basic nutritional support of the appropriate Doctor's Choice multiple.
* The soothing benefits of the deglycyrrhizinated licorice in DGL nutritionally supports the mucosa of the stomach. This unique chewable extract is especially important for transitioning from home-cooked meals to cafeteria food and/or fast food.
* Late nights of studying call for Escalert?, an all-natural energizing supplement. Escalert provides a unique combination of herbal extracts that offer the pick me up students need-naturally.
* The typical college lifestyle can wreak havoc on the immune system. ThymuPlex? offers daily support for white blood cell function, thymus gland activity, and other important immune functions. ThymuPlex contains key vitamins, minerals, and other key nutrients (including thymus fractions, lysine, and extracts of echinacea, blue flag, and goldenseal).
* Close confines make a great breeding ground for viruses. For optimum immune support when it's needed most, there's Esberitox?. Esberitox offers a unique herbal combination of two forms of echinacea, with thuja, and baptisia. Esberitox is more effective than echinacea alone because it addresses a broader range of immune functions.
* Maintain mental sharpness and improve short-term memory* with Ginkgo Phytosome?. Ginkgo Phytosome? is the superior form of Ginkgo biloba because it is better absorbed, more stable, and transported more efficiently than non-Phytosome? Ginkgo biloba extracts.
* Poor lifestyle habits and stress often take a toll on skin health. Supply young adult skin with the nutrients it needs with Derma Klear? Skin Care System Supplement, a comprehensive formula that provides the important nutrients for great skin health. Complement this with Akne-Zyme?, which reduces unsightly acne blemishes and blackheads without the drying effects of many mainstream acne products.
WEB SITE RESOURCE Former Surgeon General C. Everett Koop's Web site (http://www.drkoop.com) offers a wealth of health information. As part of his quest for health, Koop's site includes health resources, health news, information on conditions and diseases, special reports, local resources, and more. The site even allows you to create your own health profile page, based on your sex, age, and other demographics.